VE Testing

Amateur radio licenses are issued by the FCC, and require passing a test. Tests are administered by Volunteer Examiners (VE).

Study for Your Exam

There are a lot of resources to help you study for the exams. Your local library may be a good source; but beware - tests are updated every three years, and libraries may have out-of-date books. Here are some online resources:


Exam Schedule

The 220 MHz Guys ARC conducts Amateur Radio License exams at the Saturday Breakfasts at P.J. Klems two or three times a month.

Tests are given on the first, third and fifth (in months with five) Saturdays.

What to Bring

  • Yourself - after some study.
  • $15 fee. Cash, no credit cards.
  • A photo ID
  • If you don't already have a license:
    • Your Social Security Number or FRN
  • If upgrading an existing license, bring your original and a copy.
  • If you have a Technician class license issued before 3/21/1987 you can upgrade to General class without taking a new test. See for details.


Once You've passed

If this is your 1st Ham Radio License you'll need to wait for the FCC to issue your license and call sign. This can sometimes take up to about a week.

While you are waiting, you can sign-up at the FCC's Universal Licensing System. This will allow you to check for your new call sign.

The FCC does not automatically send you a paper license! 

If you're upgrading to a General, or Extra, you can start using your new operating privileges.


The 220 MHz Guys supports both W5YI and ARRL Volunteer Examiner programs.